Menu

Bread (2) Breakfast (10) Desserts (8) Main Dishes (9) Muffins (3) Products (1) Salads (1) Side Dishes (10) Side items (1) Smoothies (3) Snacks (6) Soups (2) Video (1)

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Broccoli Packed Crustless Quiche

Gluten Free/Grain Free

Sunday’s morning are the lazy mornings around home and boy let me tell you, they are nice. During the week King Dad is up-and-at-em’ as early as 5:00 AM - 5:30AM to make it to Crossfit prior to work. I follow suit and knock out my Jillian Michael’s workout, 6 days per week. I’ll discuss my obsession with Jillian in another post, unless you are one of the many I have at some point enlisted to do the videos with me and in that case you already know about my obsession. Maybe those folks shouldn’t speak up, you may scare future workout partners away.

Anywho, focus, focus, focus.
 
Back to enjoying my lazy Sunday mornings. We all sleep in, until to at least 7:00AM! I know, pathetic. By 8:00AM, at the extreme latest, King Dad and I are joined by two dogs and the Prince. I start feeling claustrophobic, restless and in need of coffee. I head downstairs, fire up the Keurig, typically make us all a smoothie and head back up to the couch to watch the Food Network. I can typically get a complete hour or more of TV time before the rest of the crew crawl out of bed, bringing random electronics with them. I then hand over the remote, read blogs, scan Facebook, wonder why I am getting bored sitting on the couch, when this is "Sunday lazy time" and then…it starts spiraling…I’m restless, need to get off the couch, need to cook, clean, go to the store, paint toes, shower…do something.
 
This craziness is usually accompanied by hunger, so off to make brunch I go.
Boys, dogs and electronics remain cozy on the couch.
 
One Saturday, while watching Food Network, Aarti Paarti made lasagna cupcakes, maybe by some different name, and that dish inspired me to make…..
 
Wait for it…
 
Crust Free Broccoli Packed Quiche!

Please, do not try to figure out how my brain works. It’s pointless. It will cause you a headache and stress; at least, that’s what King Dad has told me.

This quiche is so delicious, you will not miss the crust; but, your bootie (or at least mine) will be happy that you missed all the extra calories that would have been in that crust.
Enough rambling.

How about a recipe?


What you need:
1 head of broccoli, organic, washed, chopped into fairly small chunks
¼ cup onion, organic, diced
1 Tbls extra virgin olive oil, organic
½ cup cheese (your choice), shredded, organic
¼ cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
7 eggs, free-range, no growth hormones, beaten
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Salt and Pepper

What you do:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Steam broccoli, with a pinch of salt, for 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Heat olive oil in large sauté pan, sauté onion. Toss in cooked broccoli and toss around. Turn off heat and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, mix beaten eggs, cheeses, Italian seasoning, salt and a nice dose of black pepper.
Butter a 9 inch pie pan. Place pie pan on baking sheet.
Pour all broccoli and onion mixture into buttered pie pan.
Pour egg and cheese mixture on top of broccoli.
Bake quiche for 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick can be inserted and removed clean.

Enjoy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment