Menu

Bread (2) Breakfast (10) Desserts (8) Main Dishes (9) Muffins (3) Products (1) Salads (1) Side Dishes (10) Side items (1) Smoothies (3) Snacks (6) Soups (2) Video (1)

Friday, June 14, 2013

Savory Black Eyed Pea Quinoa

Gluten Free/Grain Free/Vegan

I grew up in the South with a momma that can THROW DOWN some southern cooking! One of the staples in our house growing up was black eyed peas!

Man, I love them. I love all field peas. I love all beans. So does the Prince. Give us a mess of field peas and rice and we are happy and trust me our bellies with me stuffed. (HA! I just type " a mess of field peas."

King Dad can not tell one field pea from another, and I giggle every time I ask him which type of bean we are having for dinner. Gotta love my city boy!

Ok, back to the recipe. I have previously mentioned we have a love, probably an unnatural one, for rice, but we also avoid grains. So, I try to make delicious substitution for rice and this dish was a SUCCESS!

Oh, Did I mention that the Prince has a ROCKSTAR Nana that grows veggies, cans them and send them to us? OH. HAPPY. DAY., when we receive a box full of field peas!!

Now, go shell some peas! Or just grab some from the supermarket and make this dish.




What you need:
Quinoa:
Approx. 3 cup cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked)
1 can black eyed peas, organic, drained, rinsed, with a pinch of salt mixed into peas or 1 and 1/2 cup freshly cooked peas
1 cup grape tomatoes, organic, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, organic, diced
1/4 cup basil, organic, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste 

Dressing:
2 Tbls balsamic vinegar
2 Tbls extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbls lime juice, freshly squeezed
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated

What you do: 
Mix all quinoa ingredients into mixing bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk all dressing ingredients.
Pour dressing over quinoa and mix.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment