Menu

Bread (2) Breakfast (10) Desserts (8) Main Dishes (9) Muffins (3) Products (1) Salads (1) Side Dishes (10) Side items (1) Smoothies (3) Snacks (6) Soups (2) Video (1)

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Cauliflower "Rice" with Peas and Black Beans

Gluten Free/Grain Free/Vegan

You may have noticed that a lot of my dishes are grain free. The reason for this is because I gain weight by just looking at carbs and any flours that are typically used for gluten free cooking are loaded with carbs, some even more so than wheat flours. So, to add to the many recipe obstacles I already have, I have added limiting our grains; this may seem overwhelming to some, but to me it motivates and challenges me.

This girl is gonna eat and she is gonna eat yummy, healthy food, even if she has to tweak every recipe she comes across. Additionally, the recipe will be approved by the 6 year old Prince and King Dad.
 
The Prince loves this dish.
 
Now moving on to my love affair with rice, specifically jasmine. As much as I know this affair is not hereditary there was a time when our Prince, literally, would only eat jasmine rice. Luckily, we have passed that stage, but we both continue LOVE it. Love, in the way that we could eat it and only it for dinner; just add salt and butter.
 
So, you see the problem? I am a gluten free vegetarian, who loves rice, but gains weight and gets an overall feeling of ick when eating too many carbs.
 
Then one day, I saw a dish that made me take a double take. It was cauli ”rice”. Yep, cauliflower used as rice. Now, if you follow my FB posts then you see I will use cauliflower for any and everything, but RICE? Could it possibly be yummy and satisfy me like rice?
 
Let me just tell you King Dad’s response to this dish and then I will get on with the recipe.
“That’s good, I mean that could actually be sold at Wholefoods! What is it?”

Fit for a King, loved by a Prince and made by a Queen.

 

What you need:
1 large head, cauliflower, organic
1 can black beans, organic, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen peas, organic
2 TBLS coconut oil, unrefined, organic or extra virgin olive oil
½ cup, red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, organic, minced
1 tsp cumin
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper
¼ cup cilantro, chopped

What you do:
Wash, dry and grate cauliflower florets (*watch your fingers or use a food processor if you have one; I don’t). You want a rice consistency.
Heat oil in large sauté pan or wok.
Add onion and garlic and sauté.
Add grated cauliflower and cook for several minutes. Stir frequently. You want the cauliflower to turn light brown, resembling brown rice. 
Add black beans, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir and heat beans through.
Toss in peas and heat through.
Remove from heat. 
Mix in cilantro.
 
Enjoy.


 

1 comment:

  1. This looks brilliant! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete