Menu

Bread (2) Breakfast (10) Desserts (8) Main Dishes (9) Muffins (3) Products (1) Salads (1) Side Dishes (10) Side items (1) Smoothies (3) Snacks (6) Soups (2) Video (1)

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Apple Pie

Gluten Free/Dairy Free



Apple pie has had a special place in my heart since childhood. Not only is it delicious, it was a love that both my daddy and I shared. He used to say apple pie would cure anything. My best friend, Cathy, from childhood, brought me an apple pie following my daddy’s death, based on his theory. I must tell you that while eating that apple pie, through tears, I felt love and a small amount of peace.

 Maybe my dad was onto something, after all. (He used to say that too).

Okay, fast forward many many years and insert a Queen Mom and a Prince with a gluten intolerance. This Queen Mom decided to make it her mission to make a delicious GF apple pie that even her daddy would love and guess what! I did it. This took a lot of research and trial and error. I found several pie crusts recipe that I attempted to alter to my needs to no prevail! Until I ran across on that suggested rice flour with corn meal, this base was the answer to my taste bud and overall consistency needs; insert a few other ingredients and VIOLA! A fantastic crust. 

I have yet to create a grain free crust, but if that is what you need,  keep hope alive.
 
I could have eaten every slice of this pie. I love this crust so much that I then made a Sweet Potato Pie for King Dad and the Prince made a Baked Strawberry Pie.


What you need:

Pie Crust:
1 cup white rice flour, organic
½ cup, Arrowhead Mills yellow corn meal, organic, gluten free, made with no genetically engineered (GM) ingredients
½ cup arrowroot starch
¼ cup coconut sugar, organic
¼ tsp salt
2 eggs, free range, beaten
12 Tbls butter, organic, grated
1 Tbls ice water

Pie Filling:
6 apples, I used Braeburn, if using a larger apple reduce to 5, organic
½ cup cocnut sugar, organic
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 Tbls rice flour, organic

What you do:

Crust:
Combine the flour, meal, arrowroot and salt in mixing bowl. 
Using a box grater (or whichever grater you have), grate butter. This work better for me than cutting in the butter.
Beat eggs and water.
Add butter and egg mixture to flour blend.
Now, here is what works best. Get in there with your clean hands and work that dough.
Split the dough in half and shape each into a ball. Flatten each ball into a small”ish” disc shape. 
Wrap in plastic wrap and chill dough for at least 30 minutes for easier rolling.
Dust rolling pin and work surface lightly with rice flour.
Roll dough to a uniform thickness. 
Roll to a circle a bit larger than your upside down 8 or 9-inch pie plate. 
Gently place one rolled dough circle into pie plate and gently press into form of plate. This dough can be delicate, just patch it up if it breaks. Trim excess dough around the edge with a knife.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Apple Filling:
Peel, core and slice apples.
In a large bowl mix apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and rice flour.
Mix well.
Pour into pie crust.

Top Crust:
Use second crust from the above directions to make top crust or strips for lattice design.

 If using a full top crust, cut slits in top to allow for the release of stem.

Place in oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until crust is golden brown and apples are baked.

Optional: serve with vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream
Enjoy!

 

 
We may have enjoyed this as dinner, and topped it with homemade coconut milk whipped cream. *blush* Look at that happy, shirtless, Prince!

No comments:

Post a Comment